February 9, 2012

[Kickstarter] Monsterhearts


I know that it's not a kickstarter campaign, but a IndieGoGo one, but the title tag was alredy fixed and Indie GoGo it's really similar, so bear with me.


Monsterhearts is a story game about the messy lives of teenage monsters.
Monsterhearts lets you and your friends create stories about sexy monsters, creeping horror, messy love triangles, and teenage angst. When you play, you explore the terror and confusion that comes both with growing up and, say, being a undead flesh-eater. Or bartering with demonic forces. Or being an unstable werewolf.



The game runs on the Apocalypse World engine, designed by Vincent Baker. As a result, the two games share similarities in play style: emergent story, messy relationship webs, mechanics that give players hard choices to make, and a structured MC role.
It's designed to evoke stories like True Blood, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Ginger Snaps or The Twilight Saga. If you like supernatural romances, or stories of monstrosity and personal horror, or if you just like watching sexy people ruin their lives, then you'll love this game.


Want a teaser? See this example of play, taken from the book.


I'm not a Twilight fan, but Buffy it's still in my heart, so... let's give him a shot.

5 comments:

  1. That excerpt may be cool if you have a gaming group that looks like the cast from 90210 or Glee, but try roleplaying that shit out with a bunch fat slobs gorging on soda and chips with food-stained t-shirts, then the illusion is completely ruined.

    Pass. I'll stick to just killing orcs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from how you describe your gaming group, you really need more friends to play with. ^_^
      Jokes aside, maybe this game could be the way to attract more cute girls to game nights, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. Hey anonymous,

      The designer here. I just wanted to mention that I've played this game with "a bunch of fat slobs" before, and it's super fun. Socially awkward geeks with bad memories of high school turn out to be (unsurprisingly) really awesome at vicious high school satire.

      The other side of the coin is that Monsterhearts appeals to a pretty wide demographic. So, if you feel like playing a game about sexy people would be best if you were playing with sexy people... you're in luck. Monsterhearts has great cross-over appeal with your sexy friends who don't yet game. I make a point of designing games that reach out to new demographics.

      Delete
  2. @Paolo. You don't know how accurate you are dude.....I so wish this, but I live kind of out in the middle of nowhere, so I got to play with what I have. To illustrate, I'm the only one out of my group who has Internet and uses a computer.

    @Joe. I wish I knew sexy people. Completely out of my league man when you're living out in the hillbilly land, but thanks anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, but if you have internet, the whole world is in your reach! :)
      try to find gamers in the city nearest to where you live and play via skype (or similar).
      Really, this could be a chick magnet if you can cope with an intense Twilight vibe.

      Delete