January 12, 2012

How do you choose a new game?

 Noir Detective 7 by *Salemburn

It's a bit  that I think to start a new game. Do not get me wrong, the campaign of D&D is progressing wonderfully and the entrance into the 4th year has brought my players a little 'twists and turns that have hit the mark, but I feel the need to change the atmosphere, to change themes, to change engine.


But how to choose a new game to propose to my players? How to choose a game?


I am fortunate to have available a few hundred different games to choose from (yeah, I'm a collector), so I am not without options. But HOW to choose?


To satisfy me a game need 3 key features:
To have a setting for which I want to write stories
To have a set of rules that do not make me cringe, and my players can find satisfactory
Make my players want to play at least a few sessions.


To have a setting for which I want to write stories
If I'm not willing to write stories, how could I do the master? The first premise is: fantasy no more..
Right now two ideas are bouncing in my head. The first is a Noir, the second a good, old hard sci-fi.
I could also accept the Pulp, Steampunk or Urban Fantasy.


 Spaceship by ~perkan

To have a set of rules that do not make me cringe, and my players can find satisfactory
My players in this area are much more picky than me. I can co-exist with almost all engines, they need a robust system, which do not allows them to take advantage of it just because certain course of actions are more beneficial than others.
The only thing I impose is: no World of Darkness. I do not know that their system has a real name, I always refer to him as "the one with the dots." No dots for me. Savage World or FATE would be the best. I'd also like to try the One Roll Engine


Make my players want to play at least a few sessions
Some session is all that the master has to ask his players. Some session is the right time to make them passionate about the history and make then ask for more. After a few sessions is all in the hands of the master, and nothing in the hands of the manuals.


My candidate for this year are: A Dirty World, Eclipse Phase, CthulhuTech, Diaspora, Rogue Trader.
Tips?


Of course a good survival horror game with a zombie outbreak ...


“This post was written for the first annual New Year, New Game blog carnival hosted by Gnome Stew as part of the 2012 New Year, New Game challenge.”

The games are available from:


A Dirty World
A Dirty World
A Dirty World


Eclipse Phase
Eclipse Phase
Eclipse Phase


CthulhuTech
CthulhuTech
CthulhuTech


Diaspora
Diaspora
Diaspora


Rogue Trader
Rogue Trader
Rogue Trader
NOTE: If you buy from here I will get a little income, with no extra cost for you. Just to be straight.

10 comments:

  1. Warning: blatant self-promotion alert.

    If you want a good lightweight survival horror game system then may I recommend Zombie d6-lite?

    http://www.korpg.com/downloads/zombie_d6_lite.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's really lightweight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the original goal. An entire RPG on a single page.

    Thematically it works nearly perfect since survival horror has little need for additional fluff that can't be handled at the table.

    As for your candidates, I can only say that, as a player, seeing the GM bring CthulhuTech to the table would probably set as much of an expectation for me as would bringing Star Wars d6.

    I don't know if it would do the same for your group, but it's something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I'm really interested in your comment about Ctulhutech. Can you tell me why you would feel like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All things Cthulhu bring with them a certain Pyrrhic victory condition as baggage.

      Now if you're going for post-apocalyptic grim and gritty future where mankind struggles against forces and powers far exceeding their capabilities, then I'd say do so.

      But if that's not necessarily your intent, then I'd do otherwise.

      Again, this is simply how I as a player would prepare my gaming stance when the rule set was brought to the table. That doesn't mean your players would do so, it just might be something to consider.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, if I'll go down the Cthulhu road, I think I will try to do something gritty, dirty and totally unfair.
      The hard part with Cthulhutech is that you must be really specific about what kind of adventures you are about to write. Detectives and Mechs are not a good mix ^_^.
      Probably I would like to keep that Noir mood I'm thinking about...

      Delete
    3. "Yeah, if I'll go down the Cthulhu road, I think I will try to do something gritty, dirty and totally unfair."

      Is it possible to go down the Cthulhu road in any other fashion?
      Just sayin'

      Delete
  5. I believe the WoD system is called the Storyteller (oWoD) or Storytelling system (nWoD).
    I can't really say much, other than I've played Dark Heresy and it was a lot of fun. Rogue Trader is similar (but different setting and up a power level).
    If you're interested in FATE, then you may know there are several systems which could work you. In addition to Diaspora, there's also Spirit of the Century (pulp) and Dresden Files (urban fantasy), and a few others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tryed Spirit of the century, but wasn't the right setting for my players. I was not the GM that time, but for them is alread "Out of question".
    I've already got Dresden Files, but I'm reading the books and I know the manuals spoilers some of the books... so it's waiting.
    (BTW, I have also Legends of Anglerre and the generic Strands of FATE ^_^)

    ReplyDelete