April 2, 2011

[Gamma World][Rule test] Character Generation

Having completed the series of PCs for Dragon AGE, I was wondering what ruleset test next when I received a call from one of my favorite players asking more info on Gamma World (GW from now).
Are you ready to create some characters for a weird post apocalyptic setting?


For this test we will use the base set and the Famine in Far-Go expansion set, cause I've not yet bought the second expansion set ^_^


1. Character Origins
Every PC in GW is defined by two mutations and these are the first thing you roll. Let's do this.
First roll 1 (on d6) and 6 (on d20)
The first roll means that I have to roll on the core set table. the second roll means that I'm a Felinoid. 
Up now I'm not worried; a felinoid is easy to play, compared to other mutations. I will be fast, stealthy and furry.
Next roll 4 (on d6) and 9 (on d20).
Now things gets weird. 4 means I have to roll on the Famine in Far-Go origins table and 9 on this table means that I'm not only Falinoid, but also Gelatinous.
Gosh! I'm a Jelly shaped like a Thundercat!
Ok, no panic and let's move on the next step


2. Assign Ability Scores
I get 18 on Dexterity 'cause it's the primary ability of my primary origin (felinoid) and 16 in Strenght  'cause it's the primary ability of my secondary origin (gelatinous).
The rest of the scores are rolled with 3d6 and assigned in order, so my roster looks like that:
Strenght: 16
Constitution: 5
Dexterity: 18
Intelligence: 9
Wisdom: 17
Charisma: 12
Oh my Gosh! Constitution 5? Wisdom 17? I'm wise and sick? LOL!


3. Determine skills
More random things! In character generation you get a free skill bonus (+4), based on a d10 roll.
I rolled 4 and my bonus skill is... (dramatic drum roll) Insight!
The fact that's wisdom based ir totally cool.
So, now I'm a wise, sensible, sick jelly thundercat.
My origins get me an impressive +8 stealth bonus (all bonus stacks! Yeee!). The other skills are based only on my attributes.
Acrobatics: 5
Athletics: 4
Conspiracy: 0
Insight: 8
Interaction: 2
Mechanics: 0
Nature: 4
Perception: 4
Science: 0
Stealth: 13

Update: I'm a wise, sensible, stealthy, sick jelly thundercat. [roll eyes]


4. Starting gear
I get an armor, a melee weapon and a ranged wepon
I'm choosing a light armor (+3 to AC), a light melee weapon (a metal claw) and a light two-handed gun (a hunting arbalest)
I also get an adventure kit for free and 4 (1d4+1) rolls on  a table of extra gear.
These are my rolls:
9 a wagon
18 a pickup truck
3 a canoe
4 a keelboat
What? I was a car/boat salesman before going adventurer?


5. Fill in the numbers
Hit points: 17 (12+Constitution score)
Bloodied value: 8
Hp x level: 5 (that's a fixed number)
Fortitude defense: 16 (10+level+STR/CON)+(2 for gelatinous)
Reflex defense: 15 (10+level+DEX/INT)+(2 for felinoid)
Will defense: 14 (10+level+WIS/CHA)
AC: 18 (10+level+armor)+(DEX/INT if armor is light)
Speed: 7 (6)+(felinoid in light armor)
Initiative: 5 (DEX+level)
Attack bonus fot the metal claw: +8 (DEX+level+weapon accuracy)
Attack bonus fot the arbalest: +9 (DEX+level+weapon accuracy)


6. Add roleplaying character details
Im a former car/boat salesman, wise, sensible, stealthy, sick jelly thundercat. is that enough? ^_^


7. Alpha Mutation and Omega Tech
One random draw of each deck.
Alpha Mutation: Beguiling a burst 5 attack that with a minor action makes enemies not able to attack me (save ends). Considered how fragile I am, that's a good power!
Omega Tech: Envirocape a cape that makes me resistent to radiation damage. Nice enough.


8. Powers & Traits
Catfall (felinoid trait) no damage for falls of 50 feet or less.
Translucent (gelatinous trait) at the start of each encounter I'm invisible until I attack someone.
Slashing Claws (felinoid novice power) a reflex based power that makes two attack rolls and blinds if both the attacks hit.
Paralitic Goo (gelatinous novice power) a Fortitude attack that slows if hits.


Ok guys, that's all.
I have generated my first GW character. Next week I will provide a backstory as usual.
Let me share some thoughts in the end.
I kinda like the FULL RANDOM process in this case, I think it's an easy way to create weird guys, ready to be zapped by alien radiations in a moment. This will not lead to serous, dramatic stories, but in the end I've come to understand that GW is more about psycopath giant insects bursting lightnings from the eyes and flames from the butt that about post apocalyptic drama.
The charachter options of the core bexed set are nice, but the extra possibilities of the expansions are needed to add variety.

Don't know where to buy it?
UK USA IT DE FR
NOTE: If you buy from here I will get a little income, with no extra cost for you. Just to be straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment