February 17, 2009

[D&D 4E][Character] Veleno

I'm about to start a 4E campaign as a player and I have to make a character.
I'm about to discover if the main complaint of players if true or is just fear of the change.
Is it real that you have too few options in character creation? Is it true that multiclassing is impossible? Is it real that making a character is frustrating?

I'm a storyteller and I HAVE to start from the character story before even think about numbers so... what I want to be?

First thought: I've had the idea of a big Tiamat tattoo spreading on my back with the dragons head wrapped on my hips, shoulders and around my neck. Why I have it? Who tattooed me?

Second thought: I usually like playing rogues, good-aligned characters and humans. Since the last time I played was a long time ago, there 3 things will be my first sure things. Why I have a evil goddess tattoo?

Long after these simple ideas the background start tanking shape.
This is what I have sent to my DM:

"In the land of ____ legends say that once every century a buy is born with the hell's mark. In a cold night, 20 years ago, my mother gave birth to a child, me, showing a dragon shaped birthmark on the neck. The time stood still for a long moment, while the midwife who was helping her stared at me. "The mark" she whispered just before taking her coat and running off in the night.
In the morning the city guards knocked at the door, but we wasn't there anymore.
My mother ran all day and night on my dad horse, well knowing what would happen to me if we were caught. Nonetheless after 5 days without sleep she stopped the horse and fell asleep under a tree shadow.
We was sold as slaves one week after that.
Long story short, wen I was 5, a cult of rogues and Tiamat religious fanatics buyed me and made me a thief and a burglar.
All the informations above was written in a letter my mother gave to me when we parted.
Two more things were written here. The identity of my father and why I have to kill him.

Today, after 15 years past that day, I've passed all the test my cult gave to me and I've earned the end of the tattoo who is progressively carved in the faithful skin as he rise in the enlightening process and the fifth and last head of Tiamat now circles my neck, while the others sits on my hips and shoulders.

Today the cult gave me a name. They call me "Veleno".

Today, after 20 years of slavery I've run, the skin still burning, trying to regain myself and my future.

For fifteen years I lied. For fifteen yeas my heart was devoted to ____, god of _____.
Today is the first day I can say that proudly.
Today is the first day of my vengeance"


Now I have just to open my Official Character Builder and discover if numbers are with me or against me.

Tomorrow (or the day after) the results.

2 comments:

  1. I still think that the best way to start a character is with the background and philosophy. It encourages more thought into how certain abilities and such work. I like your background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Hope my DM will like it too :)

    ReplyDelete